Subject: [Leica] California west coast LUG gathering
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:24:15 -0700

Last Saturday night (7/29/00) 22 of us, LUGgers, relatives, and friends,
gathered to have a fine dinner, photography chat, photography show and
tell, and, of course, Leica hardware show and tell. At one time, there must
have been $50,000 worth of black Leicas lined up in front of Tom
Abrahamsson. Impressive sight!

The group consisted of many LUGgers that I personally know, Tom Abrahamsson
and Tuulikki, Peter Choy (our gracious host), Gary Todoroff from Eureka
(northern CA), Jeff Alford and wife, Godfrey DiGiorgi, Scott Green, Ken
Isaka and son Ansel, and Ken Gerlach, and a few that I had never met before.

I brought my wife Jennie (LUGger assistant extraordinarie,) my daughter
Jillian (Leica/Hasselblad photographer extraordinarie), Jillian's fiance
Dan (also photographer assistant extraordinarie), and Jillian's best friend
Jane, who is a great photographer from Banbury England. She is here
studying photography with Jillian. Jane worked as a police and crime scene
photographer in England before coming here on a student visa.

Tom Abrahamsson showed off his newest Leica M accessory, the "Rapid Grip."
It is made of aluminium, hollow handle (which will hold spare batteries for
you TTL folks) therefore very light weight, and a spot to hold your softie
should you take it off of the camera release in order to use a cable
release. This is a very well thought out and engineered piece of equipment.
But, of course, no one would expect anything less since it came from Tom
and Tuulikki. :-)

There were prints and cameras floating all over the room, all evening long.
Each person had to give a little talk about who they are and what they do.
And, of course, their rational for being a LUGnut. As a result, each
presentation was rewarded by a special gift. A "one of a kind" softie from
Tom and Tuulikki Abrahamsson. It is in deep green (BRG) with a white "LUG
2000" screened on it. Each in a special little zip lock bag with a photo
label, with inscription "Summer of LUG." Very very cool. And very very useful.

There didn't seem to be any way possible to leave at the end of the
evening. Prints, cameras, and good conversation kept people engrossed
seemingly forever. There weren't any digital prints however. Cibachromes
from Ken Isaka and Gary Todoroff, and B&W prints (mounted and unmounted)
from lots of other folks. Ken Gerlach has a Leica photography show in an
upscale coffeehouse "Barrone", in Menlo Park CA. If anyone is around there
they should stop in for a look. Barrone's is in the same building as
Keppler's book store, on El Camino near Santa Cruz Ave. Jerry Haussler
passed out post cards made from his photos as did Gary Todoroff.

This was an extraordinary evening.

We have to thank Peter Choy for setting up this gathering. The restaurant,
food, service, everything was exemplary. Even parking was a simple.

Thanks Peter.

Jim