Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:16:51 -0400

on 31/7/00 11:58 am, BOB KRAMER at BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com wrote:

> [BOB KRAMER]  If you actually try this, you might be surprised at
> how quickly you  are challenged as to why you are taking a picture.  You
> very likely will be perceived as trying to hide the fact you are taking
> pictures, and that will sound a major alarm to many people.  Even when
> looking down into a waist level finder, you still are working the controls
> of the camera, so your intent is very obvious.  Please do not try this
> technique Dan.  We like you and don't want to see you get your butt kicked!
> :-)
>
> Bob (been shooting in the street for 20 years and hasn't been
> smacked yet) Kramer

I think there is good advice on both sides here. I certainly agree that if
you are using a WLF it is important to be very open about what you are
doing... don't sneak behind a lamp-post. That's one of the reasons I
wouldn't use a WLF with a Leica. However, on a Rollei it's the way the darn
thing works, and it's an interesting old fashioned looking camera, so I
think you might get good results from just basically standing in the middle
of the street photographing. For example, I find it next to impossible to
photograph people waiting at bus stops from the front, because they all turn
away when you do it. I suspect that with a Rollei they would look at you
with slightly bemused interest.

- --
Johnny 'never been smacked HARD while street shooting' Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Street photography)