Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #291
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:31:39 +0000

Jesse Hellman wrote:
.That was fantastic, but why were you not on the boat of the couple
getting married? ...... Please tell us the story behind
this, it really sounds interesting, and, yes, unbeatable!

Think Papparazzi, Jesse.  The wedding was on the small cliff above the
beach next to a mansion.  Even with the teleconverter there was no way
to get close enough.  We did our best, given kelp and rocks, to maneuver
the boat.  Had to work to keep boat head to swell to minimize rocking
and I gave up shooting from fly bridge--too much movement.  So moved to
where closer to center of motion. Was able to get the setting, surfers,
the fireworks barge off shore, the tent and dinner settings, and
eventually (famous?) people watching the sunset.

And Ted Grant wrote:

>Good on you Donal,  as you posted this at an appropriate time for those
who think every frame must be shot on a rock solid base!

Absolutely.  If nothing else, mobility rules!  Tripods are a love/hate
thing.  But shooting with super long glass in fading light from a
rocking boat of a glamorous wedding is really, well, The Pitts.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com