Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:35:21 -0400

> on 31/7/00 2:21 am, Jean-Claude Berger at jcberger@jcberger.com wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Again, the problem is not about taking pictures, it is about publishing
>> them. If the picture of your site were showing people shot in France, you
>> would take a major risk of being sued because (I guess) you do not have
>> written clearances from your subjects specifying in which circompstances and
>> for which period of time their images can be used. Moreover, the courts here
>> begin to apply the same legal regime to private or public estate.
>>
>> All the best
>
> France (and Quebec) are pretty unique in this. In any case it is the
> publisher not the photographer who risks getting sued (the photographer has
> no money!). However, in those territories it's a real problem. Elsewhere the
> rules are pretty much as they have always been. Henri should move!

But Johnny, why would a publisher (no matter where they are located) publish
a book with even a remote chance they may be sued?

Steve (probably the only person on this list who owns a publishing company)
LeHuray

http://www.icommag.com
http://www.streetphoto.net

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Street photography)