Subject: [Leica] Re:OT: Vivitar 283 or 285
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:22:32 -0400

At 03:38 PM 7/30/00 -0400, Joe Sobel wrote:

>Every 283 or 285 I have used requires voltage that is on the high side, so
>battery life
>with alkalines has been relatively short.  Try finding a used Quantum unit,
>with cords.

I use the 285HV with the newer Panasonic Plus (or similar) alkalines. I use
flash most often with my SLRs for weddings. I shoot with Portra 800 and so
can set the flash at 1/16 power and shoot comfortably with an almost
instant recycle time at f/8 for 4 or 5 hours. At f/8 everything up to 20
ft. is in proper flash range and I have a moderate DOF for aid in focusing
with my growing older eyes and darker VF. If I am shooting longer than
20ft. I open up one or two stops as needed. If you are trying this, keep in
mind that some of the older models of 285HV have a distance scale that only
goes to 400 iso so I set the actual vari-power dial (on the front) to 1/16
and the film speed dial to 400 at 1/4 power to get the proper distance
scale for 800 iso. I tend to not rely on the colour coded auto settings as
I am more comfortable with the manual and know how much juice I can get for
what period of time. The auto settings drain the batteries differently.

I keep several sets of AAs with me just in case, but rarely have to change
during an actual shoot. I change the batteries out when they start to lag
to 5 seconds recycle time. (We use the used 80% batteries for other less
demanding AA appliances in our house.) I have tried the Quantum and it is a
great battery for a flash on a stand with an umbrella, but I really can't
stand yet another cord flopping round in front of my lens and getting
tangled in my flash bracket as I switch from horizontal to vertical. Nor do
I need something else heavy to sling over my shoulder or clip on my belt as
with a using a Quantum hand held. This looks like a neat product though if
the alkalines just don't cut it for your shooting
needs:  http://www.underdog-battery.com/.

I got my 285 from a grunt in the Army for $10 because it had a broken shoe.
I felt bad for him so I also gave him a cheap but flashy 'Underground' unit
that I had so that he could have flash for his AE Program. I gave the 285
to my repair dept. and 5 minutes later had a practically new unit. That was
1987 and I have used it a LOT, had good luck and not broken another shoe on
it yet.

As I said earlier, they are nice flashes but a bit too large for an M.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube