Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:10:21 -0400

on 30/7/00 7:03 pm, Krechtz@aol.com at Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> I recently saw a televised lengthy interview of Cartier-Bresson (Charlie Rose
> on PBS).  He said that he doubted that he would be permitted these days to
> photograph in public places the same way he did decades ago.  People, in the
> age of the paparazzi, have become too aware of the presence of photographers
> on the streets and elsewhere.
> There you have it, straight from the mouth of one the greatest champions of
> Leica "candid" photography and spontaneous and more formal portraiture - and
> every bit of it with a 50mm lens.

Henri should get out more!

(Okay, he's 90, I forgive him).

I shoot 5-20 rolls a week in the street... no problem.

Over on the streetphoto list, funnily enough, the one thing we pretty much
don't discuss any more is the possibility of shooting on the streets...
because we just do it!

My standard focus distance is 5-8 feet. No-one has pulled a gun on me.

What can I tell you, except to paraphrase Szarkowski: the hardest thing in
photography is not capturing the 'decisive moment', it's getting the film on
the reel.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com