Subject: Re: [Leica] Two cultures
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:52:32 -0600

Alas Erwin, I have not heard the same wonderful things about the scientific
method chappies you think so highly of. The chaps I have met, or studied up
on, seem pretty human to me. They act just like other groups of people,
resist new ideas, preach hearsay as fact and fight like cats and dogs
amongst themselves. There have been very few new ideas that have not been
met with scorn and derision by the scientific establishment. Plate
tectonics, theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum field
theory....I could go on and on. Science can be as much about personality as
any other area of human endeavour. Are there people out there with
inquisitive minds that try not to moved by their biases? Of course, but they
are found through out society from the lowest wrungs and up. The badge of
scientist says nothing about a person's character, morals or merits any more
than being a mechanic or priest does.

John Collier