Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:51:54 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/00 4:16:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
red735i@earthlink.net writes:

<< I must fess up, I do not have a Leica Lens... but the problem is the same
 with any 300 F2.8.....

 Given the incredibly narrow DOF with these lenses, how do you focus?
 Techniques?  I assume a tripod is a given with any subject.  What other tips
 can you give?

 Frank Filippone >>

I must confess I don't have a Leica 280/2.8 either.  I did have a 300/2.8
Nikkor.  I used it on a tripod, monopod and handheld.  Focusing is really
easier with a long, fast lens than a very short one on an SLR.  The tripod
shots were the sharpest, but probably not because of focus but rather less
camera shake.  I now own the 300/2.8 AF-S, which with the F5 and it's AF plus
8fps motor give me a lot more keepers than I ever got with the manual lens.
I really hope they go the IS route like Canon.  I know some people who are
using the new 300/2.8 IS on EOS 3's and the results are incredibly sharp.  I
won't get into the "Leica glass is better" debate, with long lenses
eliminating vibration is the biggest problem, and tripods are only a partial
solution.  Only then can you start to nitpick optics.