Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:23:45 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:

> mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com (Mark Rabiner)7/28/0011:44 AM
>
> > I made two C prints
> Hyper-tech question. Did you use the same enlarging lens?
> And did you clean them (the two enlarging lenses)?
>
> George

George!
I did clean them as I was in a rental lab.
I used the 105 Nikkor for the brownie film, a lens second to none as far as I go.
But to crank that enlarger all the way up (A D5) and also use the 105 for the
35mm and a 9X magnification would not have been fair or right and would have
been awkward. It's probably optimized for a 3 to 6 times magnification.
So I used the 50mm El Nikkor which is the standard of the industry and no slouch.
At my darkroom I retired that particular lens in favor of the esoteric and
excellent and useful 63mm El Nikkor.
Makes for slightly nicer ergonomics (less neck pain) and the resolution and so
on in the corners are not a big difference from the center.
Mark Rabiner