Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:39:40 -0500

telyt560@cswebmail.com (Doug Herr)7/28/005:33 AM

> > The "craft" of photography cannot be practiced or duplicated
with a
> > scanner, Photoshop, and an inkjet.

Semantics.

We can practice the "craft" of photography (and I do) with any
camera (a light tight box with a hole in it, or a lens) from 35mm
to 12x20 inch view cameras . We can practice that craft using
light sensitive film, paper, or electronic single shot chips, or
scanning arrays in these boxes.

We can practice the "craft" of printing using light sensitive
papers and films in darkrooms, or inks on paper with presses, or
ink on paper with ink jet printers, or laserwriters, or thermal
printers, or stone lithography or silk screens or on and on.

How many of us got inspired by seeing photography printed in
books and magazines and jumped in because we thought we had
something to say based on those images (ink on paper) before we
ever saw an original print by a master photographer. How many of
us love the work of photographers who don't print their own work?

The image that startles and or moves human minds and hearts
carries the day, not the path to creating the image.

Art and Craft have everything to do with fine work no matter the
media you decide to use to produce an object for yourself and
others to enjoy.

George