Subject: Re: [Leica] Dial $ for Leica
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:13:30 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/00 12:34:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
miroj@ozemail.com.au writes:

<< I was curious to know which M series camera is both affordable and highly
 available in user condition. >>

It changes with the fickle whim of the collectors.  Whenever they heat up the
mint end of a model, the beaters go up in price too.  A few years ago the M5
was a bargain, but it suddenly swung around, gosh knows why (not my kind of
M).  Also a few years back a decent but not mint 1,000,000+ M2 could be had
for around $500 (I bought one at that price in '96).  Today they're in the
$1000 range (I just sold it for that).  I consider the M6 "classic" a great
buy today, with user-cosmetics black ones going for about $1050-1200
depending on looks and who's selling it.  The M4-2 with its mythical bad rep
and Candian stigma, looks like it will always be a perennial bargain.  The
M4-P, also Canadian-built and identical to the M4-2 except for the 28/75
framelines, sells for more money.  In fact, in good condition they're as much
as M6 classics today.  So to recap, the M6 classic and M4-2 would be my picks
for "best beater buys" as of today.