Subject: Re: [Leica] Dial $ for Leica
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:43:02 -0400

on 27/7/00 12:10 pm, Miro Jurcevic at miroj@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> I was curious to know which M series camera is both affordable and highly
> available in user condition. I want to know if I can get an M-series in
> beaten up condition rather cheaply or am I just dreaming.

Yes, you can definitely. I would look for a beater M2 or a beater M4-P. The
M4-P is probably the cheapest of the Leica range and is basically an M6
without a meter. The earlier ones have brass top plates too I think. Anyhow,
they're excellent value. There is no problem about buying a beater M camera
as long as you know how to check them out. If you don't know how to, it's
easy and there are good instructions at Erwin's site:

    http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/bodies/choosem.html

> I look at the slower lenses and think that somewhere out there is a body.
> Obviously with Ebay and Dealers only the best examples get chosen, so what
> happens to all the other lenses and cameras that had a hard working life.

A good bargain right now IMO is the pre-asph 35/1.4. A lot of these turn up
on ebay in very battered condition but with clean glass, which is exactly
what you want. They often belonged to professionals who maintained them
properly and are now trading up to the asph version. They are a lot of lens
for the money if the glass is clean, the focusing reasonably tight and (very
important) you get the shade. Shop around, play tough, don't be afraid of
ebay, but the real bargains are to be had in other places...

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "Pilot E-Mail" <wwaechte@capecod.net> (Re: [Leica] Dial $ for Leica)