Subject: RE: [Leica] digital quality
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:14:58 -0700

My opinion of it last weekend was very, very high.  My opinion of it at this
very moment is somewhat lower - it's broken :-(
I've scanned mostly colour neg with it, but I've done a bit of B&W and a bit
of E6.  As far as the scanner itself goes, I couldn't be happier - certainly
it was a great leap forward from my Photosmart S20.  The colour is very
good, the sharpness is excellent and there's no noise that I can see.  I've
never used the LS-2000 so I can't compare the two.

I've got Insight, Silverfast and Vuescan for software - I used Vuescan all
the time on my S20, and I'm still getting used to Silverfast.  Either seem
preferable to Insight.

Except for this infant mortality problem (which was also reported by a
couple of people on John Brownlow's SS4K list) I'm thoroughly satisfied.  In
conjunction with the Epson 870, it has put my plans for a wet darkroom on
indefinite hold (pace Erwin).

The qualities of my Leica lenses seem to shine right through, though most of
the people to whom I've shown prints just say "nice shot!"

Paul