Subject: [Leica] Leica & Beer
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:46:27 +1200

Simon wrote:

>Leica = quality beers from Belgium (not Jupiler), the UK (not Bass),
>Ireland, Germany (not Eichbaum), or the Czech Republic.

I don't know if the advertisement runs anywhere else, but there's an ad for
Heineken that's been running for several months here featuring a
photojournalist (fictional ? 'Sergei Vertov') who uses Leica M and R's.
And, like, wow, it doesn't feature scantily clad or even half-nekkid ladies
like most beer advertising here. The tag line of the ad? 'Sometimes you
need something that lasts a little longer than 150th of a second'
I usually very audibly groan at that point:
A: What a dumbass line
B: If i could make images like some of the B&W stills in the ad, as opposed
to the Heineken (which i like)...i'll be quite happy to take the 150th of a
sec; or 150th of his talent, thanks.

Nice to see some Leicas on the telly though, eh?

Take care,
Gary

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University