Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Peeling R4 Bayonet
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:24:28 +0200

Miro,

Do not get discouraged. It IS possible to build a Leica system on a budget. You
can buy an SL as your body. It is rugged and has no electronics to go wrong a la
the R3 or R4, and a wonderful bright viewfinder. It also has no collector value,
so you can find one pretty cheaply. I bought mine for 400 EUR including a 50mm
Summicron. I then sold the Summicron to someone for $200 so my SL cost me 200
EUR in the end. It is not mint but pretty nice and everything works perfectly.
Of course there is no automation, but that is not why you buy Leica anyway.

Nathan

Miro Jurcevic wrote:

> I have just been on the phone to Leica Australia (Adeal) and they have
> verified that the mount requires individual attention. Hundred's of dollars
> to say the least.
>
> OK. Let me get it straight. Is it fools paradise to own a Leica and not have
> 3 or 4 spare incomes to cover the running costs. Putting this system
> together on a budget seems a lot harder than I had hoped.
>
> Miro

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland