Subject: Re: [Leica] To ROM or not to ROM
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:01:58 +0200

Miro,

I own two Leica SLRs: an R8 and a Leicaflex SL. If I buy a ROM lens I can only
use it on the R8; with a 3-cam lens I can use it on both bodies. Hence, I prefer
3-cam lenses and only buy ROM lenses if I really want the optic and the 3-cam
version is not available (e.g. 35-70mm Vario Elmar and 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit).
Whenever I have a choice, I go for 3 cams. I suspect I am not the only one in
this situation.

Nathan

Miro Jurcevic wrote:

> Further to my thread about the R7 and R8, I have purchased several two-cam
> lenses in mint condition and have the option of making them either '3 cam'
> or 'ROM'
>
> I have been advised that the 3 cam conversion (no less than $120 USD in
> Australia) is largely wasted if the lens goes to ROM conversion. The ROM
> conversion is much more invasive and not similar to the 3rd cam fix up and
> costs at least $200 USD.
>
> Would a ROM lense retain its value better than a 3 cam lense, given that the
> lenses are flawless and I may trade them in one day ?
>
> Miro

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland