Subject: Re: [Leica] Mike Johnston, Bokeh, Pentax
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:26:36 -0600

MIKIRO wrote:

> I for one am seriously considering "regression" to a light-weight minimum
> 4x5 system.  Setting a large format camera on a tripod would be most similar
> to what I did when I used to paint.

Mikiro, that's a great idea! No matter how fancy the view camera,
they're all ultimately pretty simple devices without a whole lot of
"play value" and in that sense, they force you back into picture-taking
as opposed to equipment-worship. I find that when I'm working with a
4x5, I "see" compositions in my mind before I set up the tripod and I
definitely meter with much more precision because bracketing isn't fast,
clouds move and if I'm carrying conventional film holders, I may only
have 8 sheets of film at my disposal, so each one has to count.

I think the view camera experience has helped my 35mm and MF photography
too and I use a lot more perspective control technique even when simply
walking about with the M6 and a 50mm lens.

I just got back from a mini vacation in Crested Butte, Colorado, taking
along a friend, an M6 and my Toko 4x5 field camera. Kodak Readyloads are
rather expensive, but they're great for travel. I used to have a 90mm
Schneider Angulon lens in #00 shutter which was so small that I could
leave the lens mounted when I folded the camera shut! I'll get another
one someday. For now, I'm using a 210/370mm convertible Linhof Symmar
though unfortunately only as a 210mm for now because my Toko's about
10mm short of 370mm bellows draw so I need to find a lensboard that's an
"outie"! While out with the big camera in the mornings, passers-by
sometimes stopped to ask about it, but there was no sense of
camera-envy, just curiosity.

Jeff Segawa
no archive