Subject: RE: [Leica] digital quality
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:52:37 -0400

Nathan - I understood what he was saying, and I certainly respect his
technical knowledge and abilities. I was trying to make the point, however,
that what is more important in this instance is the real world appearance of
a given print....Among other things, don't forget that if we're talking
shooting with, let's say Tri-X, you're starting to get some pretty serious
grain by 11x14 - not that that's bad - so a really good quality digital
print, viewed from a normal viewing distance, might be fine compared to a
traditional print....And, as I believe I may have said in a post recently,
the fact that certain detail captured by the lens is visible when you look
at a print with a loupe and blow it way up, and that detail isn't visible in
the digital print, is really irrelevant unless you take your photographs for
forensic purposes, in which case microscopic detail becomes incredibly
important..:-)

B . D.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] digital quality)