Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:43:28 -0400

> Do you think that standard coated filters are the equal of (or perhaps
even
> better than) multicoated filters?

I honestly do not know.  I would believe that under 'some' circumstances
one will be better than the other, and I also believe it depends on what
filters (make and model) you are comparing...  I would guess some
multi-coatings are better than others, as well as some single coatings are
better than others.  Whether a filter is better/worse also depends on your
image circumstances...if your job is shooting illuminated light bulbs all
day, then this is probably important to you.  For the photography I do, it
is pretty insignificant.

> If so what tests have you done, or what pointers do you have to others'
> tests?

The only tests I've done is real life use, at this point.  I shoot with
Hasselblads and Leicas.  I use both Hasselblad and Heliopan filters.  The
Heliopans are the single (double) coated.  I have had very very few
negatives come out with any flare/reflections, and I can not say if they
(flare/reflections) would not have been there if I removed the filter or
not.  So far, the use of a UV filter has not cost me any shots, or income.

> (http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters.htm)

I couldn't find the exact thing you were referring to, but I am still
looking...BUT there was a great paper on "Optics for Digital Photography":

http://www.schneideroptics.com/pressreleases/kina.htm

that I am sure some on this list will be interested in.

Austin