Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] serial number asterisk
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:19:33 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/00 7:44:36 AM, christer@almqvist.net writes:

>Are you sure the lens itself has got asterisks as part of the serial
number?  Or is it jsut the advert?>>

Look for yourself (and no, it's not mine, but I did bid on it . . .):

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=384285185

>With lenses and bodies being offered without the whole serial number I
sometimes get the impression that the seller has something to hide, or
>that he is afraid somebody will identify a lens or a body that was stolen
from
>him last month.

Oh i don't see it that way. As far as I'm concerned the exact serial number
is nobody's business until they buy the thing. When I list serial numbers I
just give enough information to establish dates and such. I really don't know
what it hurts to give out the serial number but since it is an exclusive
identifying mark I figure why not protect it somewhat . . . I feel the same
way about Social Security numbers, driver's license numbers (which in my case
is different than my S.S. #), phone numbers, etc. . . .

Bob (never gives out a number he doesn't have to) McEowen