Subject: RE: [Leica] Lessons Learned
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:02:27 -0400

Michael,

Thanks for these inspiring thoughts.  Just to clarify something that is
often confusing (regarding the zen/archery quotation): it's important to
recognize that this zen state of "no mind" is actually referring to a
heightened state of attention or awareness--not unconsciousness.  It is
being awake this moment.  What is missing is not attention but the veil of
thought, interpretation, judgment, story.  The absence of these mentations
(where, let's face it, we spend most of our time) are what is meant by the
phrase, "state of no mind."

The "correct" manner is really more of a stance than a technique, in my
experience.  Technique can too easily become known, stale, a learned
pattern--and thus hamper attention and spontaneity, rather than serve it
(not always: it's a subtle shift).

When one takes one's stand in this "state of no mind"--in awareness of what
is actually going on, beyond thought, beyond judgment, beyond
expectation--then there is, automatically, the aliveness of this
moment--complete, whole, and bristling with possibility.  Here there is a
beauty that cannot be contrived.  I believe it is this beauty and this joy
of discovery that we seek when we photograph.

Regards,
Dan