Subject: Re: [Leica] Lessons Learned
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:04:54 -0400

At 07:26 AM 7/25/00 -0400, Dan wrote:
>This last lesson may be the most important of all.  I've had to learn it
>many times in many different areas of my life, but it boils down to this: if
>you aren't having fun, why bother?  We tend to focus on products: the final
>image, the completed essay, the released software, and so on.  But life is
>lived in the _process_, and so, not surprisingly, the product tends to take
>care of itself merely by virtue of attending to the process of creating it.
>I've discovered that the product nearly always reflects the process: if I'm
>not paying attention or enjoying what I'm doing, the product--regardless of
>venue--ends up disappointing.

EXACTLY what I was trying to say the other day. The process is more than
just looking at the final print. (You put it well.) Someone also compared
Leica photography and "Zen and the Art of Archery" the other day. This too
is a good comparison (not just because they both originated in Germany.)
As explained in the book...
If we perfect our form (style and technique) to the point where we don't
need to really think about it any more to do things in the 'correct' manner
(state of no mind) the arrow will hit the target flawlessly every time
(we'll have more keepers per roll.)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube