Subject: Re: [Leica] how to clean a lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:10:10 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Well, my post was as much in reply to the others (Ted and Mark, et.al.).
>
> I like the casual approach toward equipment--otherwise, the tools start
> getting in the way of doing the job.  It makes sense to me to leave the lens
> cap off for the most part, and to avoid using protective filters except in
> extreme circumstances.
>
> On the other hand, if certain solvents (or no solvent at all) harm a lens
> coating, while others do not, it only makes sense to protect one's
> investment by employing the right method when maintaining it.
>
> That's why I'm curious as to just what the right way is.
>
> Dan

Well Ted uses his clean underwear, and I'll use a clean cotton shirt tail.
And I breath hard on my lens before I clean it.
And I check real hard to make sure the cloth is completely clean; grit free.
(s*** free!)
I have over 30 or 40 lenses now, many since the late 70's.
Never hurt a coating on any of them. Certainly never scratched one.
I'll tell you what I do do with them!
I USE them!
Mark Rabiner
The hard way!