Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing -- an amendment re 1270
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 10:34:21 -0700

Are you doing the b&w prints using the color inks?
I saw an interesting site that Tina pointed to- the www.inkjetmall.com
They have come up with a set of software and ink that makes the Epson prints
they show as an example quite stunning- they have not gotten that system or
software set up for the 1270 yet, but it's coming, and from the sample they
show, it is impressive. They use a 'quadcolor' B&W inkset- with varying
shades of grey, the software lets the printer print B&W prints from
grayscale setting, yet uses all the inkjets to get a good gray, and they use
something other than Epson's dithering to make the prints almost impossible
to tell from wet process prints- in my opinion.
Technology making a great leap forward? I don't know. I suppose that in the
past, when factory coated paper came out, that there was a lot of resistance
from those who coated their own, and felt that it would never be practicable
to use factory coated paper. The same with RC- I myself resisted using it
for several years when it came out in about 1971-72, but finally relented.
I think that for many practical purposes, that the digital print will make
many more improvements in the near future. It seems like every week, a
manufacturer is coming out with a printer that makes finer dots, had better
ink, and looks better in every way.
Time will tell!
Dan ( Easily impressed?) Post