Subject: Re: [Leica] Nokton bokeh
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:31:08 -0400

Nice pics Hans, but you're going to have to help me out.  Which are the
ones which are supposed to show poor bokeh?  They all look fine to me!
I'm beginning to wonder about this whole bokeh thing.

Dan C.

At 05:43 PM 22-07-00 +0200, Hans Pahlen wrote:
>A while ago I promised to publish some pix, illustrating the bokeh of the
Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5.
>http://www.geocities.com/hanspahlen/bokeh.htm
>
>There are usually no problems, unless the background contains highlights
or reflections. Johnny Deadman used the Nokton for street shots at Oxford
Street in London, and I understand why he was
>unsatisfied (the bokeh becomes sometimes too dominant).
>I have published 5 pix (2 with a normal soft background, 2 with a blurred
background and 1 with the type of background that the Nokton handles less
well).

>The Nokton is a very sharp lens, and bokeh is OK for most of the time. But
regarded as a fast lens for the type of light that is common in avialiable
light photography, I suspect the Sumilux 50 has the edge. The background
must not become more dominant in the picture than the object...

>This is maybe not my final word, this what I think after developing some
rolls from my recent Prague trip.