Subject: Re: [Leica] landscapes and people
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2000 05:29:56 -0700

On Sat, 22 July 2000, Robert Appleby wrote:

> I've been looking at a few luggers' websites and noticing that quite a few
> of them are full of landscape shots. For myself, I find it impossible to
> photograph anything that doesn't have a person in it, preferably within a
> couple of meters of the front of the lens. Nothing else really gets me
> going. This is a real weakness of my photography - one of the reasons I
> want to do panoramics is to break out of this. So do other people feel
> equally bound to or limited by one genre or type of subject? I find
> landscape incredibly dificult - I can spend ages looking at a beautiful
> scene (preferably with a g+t in one hand and my feet up on a stool) - but I
> can seldom get a coherent picture out of it. It's relatively easy, I
> suspect, to make the human face/behaviour interesting or arresting,
> compared to landscape.
> One of the reasons I'm impressed by people like Eggleston or Ghirri or
> Adams (not Ansel!) who can make a powerful picture of a quiet,
> unexceptional landscape. Inerestingly, all of them use normal lenses and
> normal perspective (as I recall - it's been a while since I looked at any
> of their pictures).
> Rob.
> Robert Appleby
> V. Bellentani 36
> 41100 MO
> Italy
> tel. (+39) 059 303436
> mob. (+39) 0348 336 7990

Rob,

A glance at my website will give you my answer: Landscapes are a specialty, like anything else, and if you don't put all your energies and soul in to that kind of photograph it just doesn't work.  My specialty is wildlife.  You'd think that with all the time I spend outdoors looking for wildlife subjects I'd get a few decent landscapes along the way.  Check my website: hardly any landscapes.  Fro some people, photographing wildlife is incredibly difficult.  For me it's landscapes that elude me.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!