Subject: [Leica] digital prints again
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net> wrote:

> If you don't need/want absolute image quality, why invest in Leica?
> ;-)

Because I can.  [:) right back at you]

A Leica R holds little appeal to me.  I can get "close enough" with my
N**** SLR.

A Leica M, on the other hand, is a different beast entirely.  Smaller
and easier to take with me than my N****.  I'd differ over the term
invest.  When I bought my M, that's what the salesman said.  "Welcome
to the world of Leica.  Enjoy your investment."  In my mind, an
investment is something that will probably give me more money than I
put into it.  Such as the stocks that allowed me to buy Leica in the
first place.  I see Leica as a giant blackhole, ready to suck up any
funds I have to spare.  :)  As far as vices go, it's better than many.

I was all set to buy a Contax G1 or G2, along with a Mamiya 7II.  I'd
get two rangefinders for the price of one Leica.  What fool would
chose to buy just one, especially when he already has a perfectly good
35mm system?  If it's *absolute image quality* I was after, I'd have
gone with large format.  Rather, I went with convenience.  A Leica M
is dang convenient for me.  And the quality is slightly better than
using a coke bottle for a lens.  :)