Subject: RE: [Leica] digital prints again
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:50:57 -0400

Yes and no....Unlike photos - where the detail is incredibly fine in
nature - with paintings, of what ever sort, as soon as you get close, you
will either see, or not see, fine detail. With very very few exceptions,
most brush work becomes visible within the normal close viewing range. With
photos, however, this is not the case. Viewed from, let's say 12-18," which
is certainly as close as most of us view photos for any purpose OTHER than
putting them under a loupe and/or arguing about the fine detail resoltion, a
sharp print is a sharp print is a sharp print....It's not until you pick up
that loupe and start magnifying that you may find fine fine detail hidden
away in a good silver print, or pixels/dots in a good digital print.

My point, therefore, is that unless your purpose in making/examining,
photographic prints with a loupe to find exquisitely fine detail not
apparent to the naked eye, is that good digital prints can look every bit as
impressive as good silver prints.

But the bottom line, I would still contend, is that traditional printing
methods and digital reproduction are, and probably will remain - at least in
the fine art realm - separate art forms, and should be judged on their own
merits.

B. D.

http://www.a-day-in-our-life.com
A Day In Our Life...