Subject: Re: [Leica] How many of you use cold light heads?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:03:47 -0700

Bill Satterfield wrote:

> Mark, does it have speed matching when you change grades?
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:

I make my first exposure with the blue bulb for the blacks,
then flip the toggle switch and make the second for the high tones with the
green bulb.

But When used in the other mode, the "variable mode" (as the way I sometimes
make my contact sheets) one bulb stays on full blast while the other variates.
I have made almost no prints this single exposure one filter method with this
head as I had switched to "consecutive filtration" my name for "split printing"
(which to me sounds too much like split toning) before I even got this new
wonderfull head.
I started out switching first Ilford 5 and 0 filters.
Then i got the special 40 dollars each green and blue filters which didn't make
much of a difference.
Now I flip a toggle switch on my Aristo 4500 head and the bulbs take turns.

But as far as speed matching goes that is a big variable.
When you get your  high area's exposed right are you then able to adjust
contrast to make for better or worse blacks while the high areas stay the same?
I call that "matched" grades although I've heard of it working the other way around.
It's idea t get a pivot point for density while your contrast would not change that.
I gave up on that.
With the two exposure  "consecutive filtration" system you don't' need a pivot
point, you don't need "matched" contrast filters.
You adjust the green till your whites are right, your blue till the blacks are right.
No starting from scratch when it turns out your contrast guess was wrong.
Or dodging and burning like crazy to make up for the fact that you've picked way
too high of a contrast.
Sorry I can't be more succinct.
Mark Rabiner

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] How many of you use cold light heads?)