Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Political Correctness
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:22:56 EDT

Stephan,

I'm not attacking you here but let's stop and think of what you are
advocating.
It seems too steep a price for Tina to have to give up a substantial part of
her sales as a price to get a show or a book. I think Tina should take the
photographs, write any captions, and earn any revenue from their sale. She
can then decide to donate anything she chooses to whomever she chooses.
I know you have a good heart, but do you sell your classic cameras, and give
a substantial part of the sale to your favorite charity?
(I am not commenting on your altruism here, of which I know nothing. I was
simply looking for a metaphor, and this one obviously came to mind.)
I know what you're getting at with your post, but if the gallery owners or
purchasers have any "qualms" they can write the checks to the charities. In
virtually everything I've seen of Tina's work, she includes an invitation of
some kind or another for the viewer to donate.
The gallery owners and publishers (or thier agents) are putting themselves
behind Tina's camera, and telling her "how" she needs to accomplish HER
project.
From the North? OK, give the camera to a local, and let them shoot the
pictures.
Captions? We don't think you should do this. Give the pen to someone you have
photographed and have them write something.
What's left of Tina Manley's work?
Tina, like you and I has to eat.
Sometimes I think that it's easy to ask people, such as Tina who are out
there in the trenches, to do even more. I wonder how fair that is

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT

In a message dated 7/18/00 12:34:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,