Subject: Re: [Leica] digital prints again
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2000 16:11:50 -0700

On Mon, 17 July 2000, Erwin Puts wrote:

<SNIP>

> My point is not that I am not willing to accept the claims of digital
> excellence. I do. My point is that willing to express leica excellence is
> still beyond the capability of digitally generated prints.
> My challenge stands for the Boston LHSA meeting.
>

> Erwin

Erwin,

I won't question your analysis of analog prints vs. digital.  It would be foolish of me to do so.  IMHO there are more measures of Leica excellence than detail rendition.  It is those parameters that shine more brilliantly with a digital print than with a wet print, particularly if it's a color photograph.  At the present state of development, the digital process has much to offer (as you have noted) and each process has an appropriate application.

To get back to the origin of this thread, I am not concerned that a digital printing process now or in the future will eliminate the need for high-quality input.  In my experience with a digital workflow the process has emphasized even more the value of top-quality equipment and exemplary technique.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!