Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: digital printing
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2000 07:56:25 -0700

On Mon, 17 July 2000, MIKIRO wrote:

> At 5:39 pm +0200 15/7/00, Doug Herr wrote:
> >I have changed completely to digital printing and the results I have seen
> >demonstrate even more than with optical printing the value of high-quality
> >equipment for making the original slides or negatives.  My Leica slides are
> >much easier to work with than my N**** slides.  Shadow detail in particular is
> >far better in the Leica chromes; likewise, the N**** slides are far more
> >likely to have odd color casts in the highlights and shadows.  Aside from
> >exceptional images, I limit the size of my N**** prints to 10x14 where the
> >photos made with Leica equipment are still rich with detail at 16x20.  IMHO
> >Leica lenses and digital printing are an excellent combination.
> >
> >Doug Herr
> >Sacramento
> >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt

> Doug-
> I am now cosidering Kodak PhotoCD.  My present scanner (old Nikon LS-20)
> gives poor images, something like faded colour prints.  Upgrading to LS-2000
> should be fine, but for the moment I do not want to invest a lot for a
> scanner, because the number of scans will be limited. In your opinion and in
> your printing conditions, does PhotoCD give comparable or even better images
> as than those from LS-2000 or other top-quality scanners?  Does it enable
> distinction of film characters between, say, Elitechrome and Kodachrome, or
> Velvia and Kodachrome? In your seperate post you said that PhotoCD can even
> extract characters of Kodachrome which you could not with conventional
> printing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> NO ARCHIVE
>
> Mikiro
> Strasbourg Europe
> http://arbos.silva.net

Mikiro,

I haven't used the LS-2000.  I am also unwilling to sink lots of money in to my own scanner, because of the limited number of high-resolution scans I anticipate needing.  The Pro PhotoCD scans (about USD $15 each) have had all the detail I want for excellent quality 16x20 prints but using the Kodak PhotoCD software has been less than ideal.  The software has settings for Kodachrome, E6, B&W and color neg but at least for the Kodachromes the color gamut (sp?) isn't what it ought to be, or I don't have my system set up right.  I downloaded Silverfast's LasersoftCD demo and it appears to do a much better job of reading the PhotoCDs than Kodak's software does, in addition to being far more flexible.  It's on my birthday wish list.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!