Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm Lenses
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 08:56:41 +0100

Shel,
I read you've not had a lot of response to this question, perhaps a lot of
us feel that this sort of choice is eventually yours of course and what you
prefer may well be different to the rest of us.
For my purposes I have two 90mm lenses and they have different uses, For
compactness and travelling light I enjoy the 'thin' Tele Elmarit, (f2.8)
which was made in the 1970s I believe, some folk reckon this is a little
disappointing in performance compared to the larger Tele Elmarits, for me
it's not been an issue, the shape of the picture is a more important
consideration than the ultimate in definition.
And then I'm also fortunate to posess a 90 Summicron which I use when I
know I'm going somewhere dark, or doing concert photography, it's a mid
80's version, with a built in lens hood which obscures the f stops when not
extended. It's more compact than an earlier one I had (from the early 60s)
but reports I've read say that the full aperture performance is not that
much improved on the earlier one. So I guess the change was merely
benefitting the size and weight I carry.
You can pick up early 90mm Elmars from under 100 dollars so you can try out
the lightest design of all without little outlay.
Jem