Subject: [Leica] UV vs. PVC
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:48:21 +1200 (NZST)

Dave wrote:

>Many of furniture salesmen -- who were taught to sell the plastic covers
>as add on
>items -- were retrained to be camera store salesman. Consequently,  the
>invention of durable fabrics, for anyone who is curious, is the real reason
>we have UV filters today.

Dave, you've just sparked off some bizarre associations i have of
horrendous furniture. My Grandmother's old couch could only be described as
Ultra-Violet. Or perhaps, could that be Ultra-Violent? Anyway, Kyle's
photos continually prove the merits of vinyl as a substance to be worn as
adornment, rather than the sad furniture coverings of our forebears.

Still, tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous PVC, than
it is to suffer crimpoline. I think Jim's call to lose the filters, for me,
has always been part 'we don't need no stinkin' filters, part fact, and
part challenge: Live your life in a 'head out on the highway' kind of way.
If you're not taking photos in 'Dangerous Situations,' there is no danger.

Yours, hanging with the Leica droogs in the corner. Meet you at the Milkveg!
Gary

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University