Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIa and Summar 50 f2 vs Leica IIIc and Elmar 50 f3.5
From: Ted Bradshaw <ted@junior60.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:32:46 +0000

Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net> wrote:

> Both types will have the rangefinder go out of 'whack' every once in a
> while (decade or so).

And it's a problem that you can easily put right yourself, without any need
for expensive servicing. Just ask on the LUG and a number of folk will be
happy to tell you all you need to know.

> I have a friend in Scotland who produces the most amazing work with a Summar
> though. I'm sure most people wouldn't believe it. He won't shoot into the sun
> and his technique is perfect, he also ensured he chose an example without too
> many scratches, if at all, and will always use a lens hood. The resolving
> power is as good as the Elmar at lower apertures, merely the contrast is
> lower.

Everything Jem says above is true in my experience also. I have produced
many very satisfying colour slides with my uncoated Summar on Kodachrome 64,
keeping the sun at a safe angle unless I wish to use flare for creative
purposes. (Jem: Summar supplied by Stephens Classic Cameras.)

Slides shot through my coated Elmar are more contrasty and have a more
modern-looking edge, and the coating makes the lens more useful in a wider
range of photographic situations.

Best.

Ted Bradshaw.