Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Winder question...
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:22:27 -0600

There are two styles of M4-2 winders both were sold under the code 14214,
have no tripod mount and use the battery compartment 14227. If the serial
no. of the winder is 10349 or lower it will not work on the M6 or some M4-Ps
as they do not have the extra shutter pin necessary. This extra pin can be
added to the M4-Ps with out it but not to the M6 as the battery occupies the
needed space. The winder from serial no.10350 and up will work on all the
M4-2 and up cameras. The only way to convert an early winder would be to
install the complete mechanism from a later winder period. They have
completely different internals. Now, having said all that, be very careful
with that winder One of three things will happen when you go to use it: one,
the winder will function at all speeds perfectly, never give any trouble and
people of your chosen sexual preference will find you irresistible; two, the
winder will function fine on all the high speeds (1/50 and up) but will
cause shutter problems ( and possible damage) at the slow and medium speed
shutter speeds (under or over exposed sections of the negative): three, the
camera will lock causing great consternation and possible damage.

John Collier

Who has a Winder M4-P that works fine on 1/50 and above,