Subject: [Leica] Summar vs. Elmar
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:18:58 EDT

It is important to get a good Summar, as there is incredible sample
variation in these lenses.  I finally got a good one, and it is as sharp
and contrasty as my uncoated Elmars from moderate apertures on down.  But
where the Summar really comes into its own is as a portrait lens wide
open.  Fantastic bokeh, gobs of that Leica glow with an image that is
flatteringly unsharp.

Both lenses are relatively cheap as Leica lenses go, and it is worth
owning both, IMHO.

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca