Subject: [Leica] Legal request, rangefinders and film dryers
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:09:29 -0400

I gave the first module of an Intermediate level Photography adult education
class last night - it was supposed to be about camera technique but as
everyone had already done an excellent Basic Camera techniques course it
devolved into a discussion of camera types.

I took along a Minox 35GT, a Mamiya RB67, a Nikon F601 and my M6. The
interest in rangefinders and the Leica was remarkable and I was very
surprised how even the seasoned photographers didn't really know what
rangefinders were all about. Most people were deeply impressed by the
clarity of the viewfinder but strangely enough needed some persuading that
the Leica was a 35mm camera!

As an Englishman working as a volunteer photo teacher in America I was asked
one question, I know has been discussed on the LUG, but which can only be
answered by those who know American law.

If I take a candid street shot clearly showing someone's face - obviously
without their express permission - can I display the picture in an
exhibition? What will happen to me is the subject decides to sue for some
breach of privacy?

By one of those weird coincidences after yesterday's LUG-talk about about
SEN-RAC film dryers we had one donated by a hospital yesterday afternoon to
our community darkroom! Perhaps you could talk about a batch of 10 M6s today
- - see if we get those donated!

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com