Subject: [Leica] New Rangefinder concepts & Leicas in Space
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:57:59 -0400

Luggers,
    Instead of asking for copies of outdated lens designs, from the post-war
Zeiss catalog, how about leaving the lens designing to the folks in Solms
and suggest what focal length and speeds we would find useful?
    B.D. already suggested a 21mm f/2; a 28mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. A
Tri-Elmar telephoto is another worthwhile idea.
    I would add my long time personal dream M lens, a 180mm f/3.4
APO-Telyt-M. I've actually shot pictures with a prototype now owned by Rolf
Fricke and it is a stunner.
    Also, what about a 15mm f/3.5? The Cosina Heliar is OK, but I'd like the
extra stop. Leica has had a design of a small 75mm f/2.4 for a long while...
This would be a nice light weight alternative to the heavy 75mm Summilux.
    To the best of my knowledge only one Leica made it into space and that
was aboard one of the shuttle missions. t was either if M2 or M4. I think,
it was done as a favor for one of the NASA photographers. If it was ordered
by NASA, I'm sure Leica would have gotten some publicity out of it, or at
least "the usual suspects would have found out about it."
    I've seen a Leicaflex SL modified to be handled with heavy gloves and an
M4 w/ a 50mm f/1.2 Noctilux with oversized knobs again for gloves, but these
camera never made it into space.
Happy Snaps,
Sal