Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 35s (Canada) 12 Blades!
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:54:06 -0700

In regards to the 35 Summicron- I have one, a Canadian serial number-2166570
Which version is this?
I had used it with so-so results, and sold it to get money for a 28 or 24mm
lens, but the buyer who used chromes and was very critical reported that it
was not sharp! Thinking it might have been damaged in shipping, I sent it to
Sherry, who found that a shim had been misplace in the lens- she cleaned it,
put the shim in the right place, and returned it to me, and the improvement
to the results were so dramatic that I decided to keep it!
It appears to have ten blades in the iris, no grub screw, so it is a later
production, but it is a very nice lens now, and I use it as a 'normal' lens
for most of my shots with the M6. The Summaron/Summicron ITDOO shade works
very well with it, and it makes for a nice compact kit for most of the
shooting I do with the M.
Since I am a fan of the LTM Leicas, I like the little focusing tab- so much
so that I got a Summicron 50 with the tab (no infinity lock, though) to
compliment my system. You would be surprised at how fast that little tab, so
prevalent on the LTM lenses, can spoil you!
Thanks!
Dan ( Wider is Better!)Post