Subject: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:37:05 -0400

Gib,
    I've had a 280mm f/2.8 since 1984. It is a superb lens. The first and
second version (the second version has the filter slot) have as really neat
little palm grip, which does make the lens hand holdable to a limited
extent.
    Ted's remarks about the 1.4 and 2x extenders are bang on.
    The new modular version offers some added benefits but I will never get
rid of my "Press 84" 280mm f/2.8
    The lens has one other very useful feature...It focuses closer that it
competitors. I remember covering what we affectionately called "The Contra,
Fawn and Ollie Show" (Iran-Contra to you serious folk). My 280mm focused
nicely on the witness from the pit position in front of the Senators. The
Nikon and Canon users didn't and they had to fall back on using extension
tubes, which of course on the first day they didn't have, and when they did,
had to remove for longer shots.
    I won't mention how my 400mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R worked..that's another
story.
    Lastly, in a recent B&H catalog, there was a 280mm f/2.8 w/ case, filter
and palm grip for $3,999.00
Happy Snapping,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.