Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 and 50 'cron = great slides
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 14:00:18 +1200

Last week I shot my first roll of slide

Henning wrote:

>Get a projector; any projector. They can be had for very little money used.
>Try to get a bright one if there is a choice, and one that has fairly even
>illumination from center to corner. A newly painted white wall works well
>if a good quality screen isn't available. A cheap beaded screen is usually
>worse than a good wall if the room is dark.

Junk Shops! The best places on earth! I found my old 1930's Leitz
Projector there, for, i think about $30 last year. It has a cracked
condenser, an old Hektor 73 lens, and only takes two slides at a
time. After looking through some old catlogues i think it's a Leitz
'Goblin', and if it's not, it definitely looks like it should be
called that--old bakelite and black crinkle metal finish. Combine it
with an old white sheet---wa-lah! Home cinema!

I didn't tell my partner i'd bought it, because i'd recently got into
trouble over a recent photo purchase. My partner is a great
photographer, so i snuck some slide film in her camera and told her
to go and take some photos. We were both students at the time, so
frequently a lot of film got shot and not processed (I'm still a
student, so this is still relevant :-). When she finished the roll it
got stuck with the others assembled on our dresser. I got it
processed, mounted the slides, and while she was at the corner shop
one evening i set up the projector and slides. She was delighted, and
we had a great evening of lots of slide watching and re-sequencing
slides for different affect etc.

Do it Hugh, it's lots of fun.

Take care,
Gary

- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University