Subject: Re:[Leica] Re: Digital M body
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 09:29:48 -0400

At 12:01 AM 7/8/00 -0700, Jim Laurel wrote:
>However, as I begin to turn my attention more to digital media, what would
>be really useful to me is a digital body that accepts M-mount lenses.  If
>you need to shoot digital, you don't have much choice.  Either you go with a
>point and shoot with a lousy lens, or you must carry a large, costly digital
>SLR.  The Nikon 990 I'm currently using has a 3+ megapixel density, but the
>lens is really bad.  Color fringing, barrel distortion...you name it.  Can
>you imagine how quiet a digital M body would be?!
>
>The main problem I see with this is that such a body would depreciate
>quickly, as all digital cameras do.  They would be the first "disposable"
>Leicas.  Perhaps Konica or Voigtlander will address this market, but I
>struggle to see a viable business in m-mount digital cameras.

An even better option, I think, would be a digital cartridge that drops
into any standard M camera. There is a product like this in its last stages
of development for the high end Nikon and Canon AF bodies. (
http://www.siliconfilm.com ) "Silicon Film has designed EFS-1 with patented
imaging technology using a high-resolution CMOS image sensor (1280 x 1024
pixels) in a compact, self-contained, battery-powered electronic film
system that digitally captures and stores images."

I have no affiliation with this, just thought it was a good idea and would
likely be far less costly than a digital M.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Digital M body)