Subject: [Leica] Quality Control, Cartier-Bresson, and other things
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 07:29:55 -0400

Luggers,
    While there is really no excuse for anyone's "new out of the box"
cameras to be faulty, let's remember to consider the shipping company or
more specifically the package handlers.
    Simply blaming Leica quality control isn't the answer. No matter how
well one packs something, a baggage or package handler can break it. One
day, I saw a delivery man (in a brown uniform) toss about a dozen cartons
out of the back of his truck on to the ground before he loaded then on to
his cart. This was in front of 37 West 47th St. in New York City. (FYI-
That's the address of Professional Camera Repair Service) I rode up on the
elevator with him and he delivered the load to where else, Pro Camera!! I
mentioned it to Marty Forscher, and told them to call me when I gear was
ready, and I would pick it up. What happens in the areas, we the public
can't see?
    I agree with Nathan or Han's statement, Leica should re-think is new
camera packaging.
    Leica rangefinders are funny things..... You can beat on them for days
and nothing goes wrong, then you barely imagine a problem and they can go
out. I can't claim to travel any more or less than some on the LUG but I
have never had even a loose screw with any of my Leica gear (both M & R). I
am however a harder user than most.
    When flying, my basic kit and film supply stays with me in the cabin.
Recently, I started to cushion the camera bag with pillows when I store it
in the overhead bin. But I think, I'm only making myself feel good. The rest
of the gear goes as checked baggage. The 280mm,  and 400mm f/2.8s go in
their factory issued carrying cases, and rest in Halliburtons and never
(insert- a BIG knock on wood) a problem.
    Someone mentioned in an earlier post, Leica USA wrapped their camera and
lens with paper to return it. Well, I was talking with Ray Tomaselli, Leica
Camera Inc. VP in charge of the repair department, and this topic came up.
He said they tested this packing paper, and it is a better packing material
and it is environmental cleaner then the little "peanuts" and other
materials they tried. I also asked Ray about Leica USA's gray market policy.
I will post something next week, I want to make sure I have to correct
before I send it.
    Lastly, It is surprising, Henri Cariter-Bresson finally admitted he
didn't shoot "his" famous picture of the Gandhi funeral. ("I was halfway up
a pole, and handed my camera to someone higher up the pole and had him shoot
it!")
    It is not an uncommon occurrence in the photojournalism community to do
something like this. It is just that HCB had his name spread everywhere, and
Max's picture,which was probably used by more newspapers and magazines, said
"AP Wirephoto" without his name.
    In case anyone is interested, the guy higher up the pole was Max Desfor
then working for the Associated Press. Max won a Pulitzer Prize for New
Photography for his 1950-1 photo of Korean refugees clinging to a bombed out
bridge.
    It is not  surprising, that HCB, probably the most famous photographer
in the world, would deny he is a photographer.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.

PS to m6rf, your comments about HPC, Leica AG and Leica Camera Inc. are so
off based, they can be considered insulting. In addition to being counter
productive to the ultimate survival of the company.