Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica initial quality story
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:09:52 -0400

Brougham jotted down the following:

> I paid dang close to $4k for an M6 and 35 lens.  [...]  When I'm paying that
> kind of money, I expect top notch service.

Actually, if you look at the REALLY stupid priced luxury goods (on the
border to which Leica is balancing it seems), service is the last thing you
get for your money.  Look at exceptionally high-priced, hand-built sports
cars.  Cost a fortune.  But just because you can afford to pay for one,
doesn't mean they're gonna treat you any better ;)

Sens moral:  Buy secondhand Leicas.  Other people have already ironed out
the QC problems and you won't have paid an insane amount of money.  I paid
less than $1200 for my M2 and 35mm 'cron pre-ASPH lens.  Worked like a charm
(until some Japanese customs officials decided to play football with the
body and twisted the whole thing out of alignment -- but that's another
story).

M.

- --
Martin Howard                    | "We learned that there is no such thing
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU      | as a free launch".
email: howard.390@osu.edu        |   -- Dr P. Murdin on Cluster II launch