Subject: [Leica] Hexar RF-first impressions
From: Tim Swan <timswan@blazenetme.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:07:48 -0400

Well, although I love my M6 and will not part with it, I finally decided to
take the plunge and get a Hexar RF. After a few days of playing with the
camera, I thought I'd share my first impressions.

The Good:
- -- It takes my Leitz lenses and shows the proper framelines for every one of
them.
- -- The viewfinder is at least the equal to the M6
- -- The meter is extremely accurate and the AE lock is a godsend. I was
initially put off by the idea of auto-exposure after years of metering and
guestimating. However, for 95% of my photography the auto exposure is
splendid.
- -- The fit and finish is impressive: hefty and solid.
- -- The Hexanon 50 is a beautiful lens, much to my surprise. It's every bit
as smooth (and hefty) as my 50 Summicron or Elmar, and has none of the dust
inside the elements that the Leica lenses had when purchased new
- -- It takes all of my Leitz lenses
- -- The titanium cladding won't corrode like the zinc on my M6 is
- -- It is VERY quiet for a camera with a motor
- -- Did I mention the bit about taking all of my Leitz lenses?

The Bad
- -- Titanium doesn't feel good in the hand. It's a bit like holding very,
very fine sandpaper.
- -- The rubber cladding is cheesy
- -- Can't take pictures when the batteries die
- -- Really could do without the motor, although it IS quiet

My conclusion (so far)

For my picture taking, the most important thing is that a camera be a
rangefinder and that it use Leica lenses. Although I understand and am a
sucker for the Leica mystique, this camera just gets out of the way of
picture taking better than my M6. Is it is satisfying as a tactile object?
No. Will it still be taking pictures in 30 years? Probably not. But today,
it has replaced my M6 for most photography, and I still get to use my
Summicron's and Elmar's, etc.

The Hexar RF really is more like a modern Leica M that either the Contax G2
or the Bessa R. The only way I'd ever consider giving it up is if Leica came
out with an auto-exposure M that didn't use a zinc top plate (living around
salt water with an M6 is hell.) Even then, I wouldn't feel any great urgency
about it.

Tim