Subject: [Leica] Leica initial quality story
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:44:05 +0200

I think the shipment is part of the problem. I can't imagine that Solms is sending out cameras with misalignment problems.
A few months ago, I sold my M4-P to a person in South Korea. It was a body in perfect technical condition. However, it arrived with grave vertical and horizontal misalignment problems...

I agree that a camera should be able to take a shipping when it is reasonably packed. The M6 box may not be that (camera in plastic box, then a cardboard box) and I guess it is sensitive to bumps during the transport, unless the box is packed inside another box containing a soft material for protection.

Anyway, I think the people in Solms should take a look at their construction plans, to see if the focusing pieces can be locked together in a better way. I know that the M2-M3-M4 were made differently (better?!?), and I have never had any problems with cameras of this type, even after dropping them on the concrete (M2 & M4, both landed on the 35 mm lens hood).

First priority should be to check the packing arrangments from the Solms factory & distributors though. I have noticed that my repairman always pack my M:s very thoroghly after CLA-jobs... But a change of construction would be most welcome, as this is not the first time we are talking about M6 misalignment problems on the LUG.

Best,
Hans Pahlen

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica initial quality story)