Subject: Re: [Leica] Screwholes
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 16:05:22 -0400

Jem Kime jotted down the following:

> Having just bought my first ever NEW (!) Leica lens, well actually it was
> sold s/h but as new in box and all, I was aghast to discover how many screw
> holes (thankfully filled with screws) there are in it.

Look at it this way: all those screws mean that in 30 years time, when you
want to have the lens serviced so that it performs like new, it will be
possible.  If it had been hermetically sealed in plastic, you'd have to
replace the whole thing.

Besides, has anyone else but me noticed how often things manage to wiggle
their way past 'hermetic seals'?  I'd much rather have something that can be
disassembled and cleaned (and which may require it once a decade) than
something which is supposedly impervious to Nature.  Nature has such a
wicked sense of humour... ;)

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | It's not who you are, it's who they
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | think you know that counts.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |        -- Anonymous namedropper.