Subject: [Leica] Re: Increasing sales of R8s and R lenses
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 05:07:45 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, rather than keeping the present arrangement and flirt
> with insolvency for the sake of dealer loyalty, Leica needs to sell
> directly to the consumer on the internet, by passing the dealers.
> Leica would make more profit per item and have greatly increased cash
> flow. The good dealers who provide great service will still do fine,
> selling at the same price as Leica. The weak dealers who don't know
> the product will find their Leica customers migrating to Solms
> internet sales, a good thing as far as I am concerned.

That's assuming the customer has already decided to buy a Leica.  I
wouldn't have a Leica if I had not been able to play with one at my
local dealer.  For people who already own Leicas and want more lenses
or additional bodies buying these products mail order is probably
acceptable.  To survive long term, though, new customers must be
acquired.  I don't think mail order (or internet) sales are the way to
do this.