Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 repair/refurbish
From: Jlaird@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:13:57 EDT

In a message dated 07/04/2000 6:23:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
slomovit@spawar.navy.mil writes:

> Anyone,
>
>  I have been away from the group for about 2 or 3 years.
>
>  I recently acquired an M3 from my uncle who bought it new in Germany in
1956
>  when he was stationed in Europe with the 82nd Airborne.  Since he is a
>  fanatic with all of his posessions, he took excellent care of it and used
it
>  continuously until buying an M6 recently.  Since it always worked well, it
>  has never been serviced.
>
>  I always admired his M3 and in fact his M6 was what inspired me to get into
>  Leica a few years ago.  I have an M6 and when I advance the film on the M3,
>  it feels tight to me.  I'm thinking about having it overhauled.  The camera
>  is cosmetically quite nice except for a few burnish marks on the top plate
>  where the Leica Meter MC sat.  The leatherette is quite nice except for a
>  spot smaller than a pin head beneath the lens mount.   There are no dents.
>  The carrying strap lugs are scratched from the use of a non-leica strap.  I
>  would like to have them replaced.
>
>  However since the camera has never been serviced in 44 years, I would like
>  to have it serviced.  The last time I subscribed to the list, I saw the
>  names of a number of repair shops mentioned.  I would appreciate an update
>  on repair places which people have used recently and consider to do good
>  work.  In particular, I would like to know if people still regard Sherry
>  Krauter with the same high opinion as they did a couple of years ago.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Bruce S.

Bruce,
  Just got my 1956 M3 back from Sherry, which I sent her together with my 90
2 Summicron. All I can say is she does excellent work. Both items were superb
when returned. She repaired a faulty rangefinder on the M3 and overhauled the
Summicron which had a stiff focusing action and is now butter smooth. I think
she would be able to help you get your M3 back in order.

Jim L